Thursday, September 9, 2010

Trouble down under

So the other morning I realized I had a lump located above my port. It hurts to touch and my port feels flipped. I called the surgeon and they didnt get back to me till a day later. This morning I went in and saw the nurse and she had another surgeon take a feel. He thinks its fluid and wants me to wait out the weekend... If by monday there is not change I need to go back in and see Dr. Monk..

So I was doing some research today and I read that 1-5 people who have the band develop a port leak. It is like a defective device. My surgeon didn’t do a barium or anything afterwards to look for a leak so it would be hard to notice before or during surgery or even right after surgery. If I go back on Monday he will likely do a injection under fluoroscopy. If the fluid has built up enough and my port has flipped and he can not access it then I will need to go in for surgery regardless. If there is a leak found under fluro then back into surgery for a new port. There is a possibility of a leak they can’t see. So if that is the case they will do a fill and see if I have any restriction in a week or two. Then go back and see how much fluid is in the band. If it is less then they put in and I have no restriction then I have a leak and into surgery I will go… Either way if it is a leak I will need to have surgery again…If it is neither of those then he may do an ultrasound or CT scan to see if something else is in there. I can tell you this.. my port does not feel the same as it did two weeks ago. Two weeks ago I could feel a flat surface…now it feels like the edge of something. A flipped port can be caused by two things… not enough stitching to keep it in place or I did too much too soon and ripped the stitching.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there and don't let the docs sidestep you. This may be minor or it could be a major problem. Don't put off getting it cared for. Bill

    ReplyDelete